When it comes to health care in Canada, health information and quality of care are inextricably linked. Health information professionals transform data into valuable information that has a significant impact on the quality of health care that Canadians receive. Their work also influences operational decisions at health care institutions and informs policy and funding decisions being made across the country.
The Canadian Health Information Management Association and the Canadian College of Health Information Management, together the Organization, are on a mission to advance the health information profession and ensure quality health information along the continuum of care.
CHIMA is the national professional association for the health information profession in Canada, representing over 5,000 health information members from coast to coast to coast. It advocates for and monitors trends within the profession, creates networking opportunities, and facilitates continuing education for its members. CHIMA also connects members with employment opportunities at organizations within health care and beyond.
About the College
The Canadian College of Health Information Management is a national, not-for-profit corporation that sets the accreditation and standards of education for certification of the health information profession in Canada. The College protects the public interest by governing and regulating the professional practice of more than 4,300 certified health information members.
About this role
We are looking for an editor who is responsible for the ingenuity, accuracy, and clarity of written materials created for our brands. This person loves coming up with engaging content—designed with an appropriate target audience in mind. They have an affinity for words and grammar.
This is a part-time contract position for 30 hours per week lasting until February 28, 2022. There are no benefits or pension during the contract term.
- Background in health sciences, with at least 5 years of experience working in a technical writing and/or editorial capacity
- Education in journalism, English, or communications
- Strong English writing, editing, and communication skills with the ability to synthesize complex information and knowledge
- Effective project management, time management, and word processing skills
- Ability to work well independently, receive feedback, and collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders
- High level of attention to detail
- Expert knowledge of APA style referencing standards
- Experience working remotely and in a virtual team environment
- High degree of technical know-how, leveraging modern collaboration platforms (e.g., Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, WordPress, MailChimp, and others)
- Organizing, copyediting, proofreading, and formatting a final manuscript for the new health information fundamentals textbook and delivering in adherence with APA standards
- Collaborating with subject matter experts and other content contributors
- Reviewing community-generated content and ensuring adherence of guidelines
- Working with the marketing team on all aspects of producing the Organization’s print and digital assets, including but not limited to:
- On-going web content (e.g., pages or posts)
- Scripts (e.g., events or video productions)
- Reports (e.g., accountability reports)
- Contracts, applications, proposals, and agreements
- Public relations initiatives (e.g., media releases)
- Promotional materials
- Meeting minutes and briefing notes
- Copyediting and proofreading communications for the Organization in adherence with editorial style guidelines
- Attending meetings with team members and other stakeholders
- Recommending appropriate terminology in all written documents
- Other duties as assigned
- Bilingual French/English
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite’s InDesign
- Previous experience writing and/or editing manuscripts
- A certification in good standing with the Canadian College of Health Information Management and an active professional membership with Canada’s health information management association, CHIMA
This is a remote role that is open to applicants who reside in Canada.
The Organization is pan-Canadian with staff, chapters, and board members from both rural and urban landscapes. Recruitment is based on values—regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, or sexual orientation. For applicants with disabilities, accommodations will be made available in all aspects of the selection process.
We are proud of our commitment to lead a diverse group of individuals who bring different perspectives, experiences, and ideas to the health information industry.
Applicants can send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please use subject line: Editor, Attn: Kaitlin McNamara
Deadline: February 28, 2021