The Canadian College of Health Information Management has a reciprocal agreement with the Health Information Management Association of Australia Limited (HIMAA). HIMAA members may become Certified Health Information Management (CHIM) professionals in Canada through this advanced standing pathway.
In order to be eligible under the HIMAA reciprocal agreement, the College requires proof of the following:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from a health information management program in Australia; and
- Confirmation of active membership with HIMAA.
Step 1: Submit an official transcript mailed to:
Canadian Health Information Management Association
201 King Street
London, ON N6A 1C9
Step 2: Submit confirmation of active membership with HIMAA to [email protected].
Step 3: The College sends the applicant a final letter confirming their eligibility to write the CHIM NCE.
Frequently asked questions
1. Is a gap analysis required?
The HIMAA reciprocal agreement does not require a gap analysis. As the learning content may differ between the Canadian and Australian health care systems, Learning Outcomes for Health Information Management may, however, be useful as a study resource in preparation for the CHIM NCE.
2. Is there a fee for the HIMAA reciprocal agreement application?
If an applicant is under the HIMAA reciprocal agreement, there is no fee for the HIMAA reciprocal agreement assessment (a $750 value).
3. Are there any other fees that apply?
The applicant must pay a fee for the following:
- A one-year student membership with CHIMA; and
- The administration and delivery of the CHIM national certification examination (NCE).
Note: For candidates who pass the examination, a congratulatory CHIMA professional membership will be issued until the next renewal period (end of February each fiscal year). For candidates that do not pass the examination, their student membership will be due for renewal on its annual cycle.
Please direct any further questions to [email protected] and someone from our national team will be able to assist you.