Impact the accuracy of medical documentation and coding in the health care system.
Now more than ever, a strong, highly respected clinical documentation improvement (CDI) specialist program can make a difference in achieving the goals of enhancing quality care, improving case mix, and ensuring the appropriate utilization of resources through quality information. In light of this, we are pleased to offer a professional designation in clinical documentation improvement for the Canadian market.
The clinical documentation improvement specialty certification was developed with several groups of health care professionals in mind:
- Nurses and physicians with a minimum of three years of experience working in a health care setting
- Other regulated health professionals who have worked in clinical documentation improvement for a minimum of 3 years (candidates must also have completed course work in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and pathophysiology)
- Certified Health Information Management (CHIM) professionals who are members in good standing or international equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of current HIM work experience in:
- Coding; and/or
- CDI; and/or
- Cancer tumor registry; and/or
- Data analysis utilizing ICD-10-CA and CCI data.
Note: CHIM professionals with extensive coding knowledge may find some overlap with their existing knowledge base.
In 2019–2020, the College is offering an early adopter rate to celebrate the launch of this new certification.
The CCDIS national certification examination (NCE) date(s) are as follows:
|Examination date||Application deadline (including required documentation)||Regular pricing*||2019–2020 pricing*|
|December 12, 2019||December 1, 2019||$349 + taxes||$199 + taxes|
|February 27, 2020||January 27, 2020||$349 + taxes||$199 + taxes|
*This fee covers the administration and delivery of the CCDIS NCE. Candidates who pass the examination will be issued a congratulatory CHIMA professional (certified) membership until the next renewal period (end of February each fiscal year). The congratulatory membership does not apply to applicants who are already professional members with CHIMA.
Applications will not be reviewed prior to the application deadline.
Maintenance of certification
- Active professional membership with the Canadian Health Information Management Association
- Continuing professional education (CPE) program requirements met
- Adherence to CHIMA’s code of ethics
Clinical documentation improvement specialist program: 3M
CHIMA and 3M are proud to partner to deliver a Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Specialist certificate program.
For more information on the program, click here.