The Canadian College of Health Information Management (CCHIM) is the national credentialing body that holds the requirements for the Certified Classification and Coding Specialist (CCCS) credential. The Classification and Coding Certification Examination tests the candidate’s accuracy in ICD-10-CA and CCI classification and coding of complex cases. The examination questions were built and peer reviewed by industry experts to replicate complex scenarios and situations found in acute care settings.
The following is a 12-step process for candidates challenging the CCCS NCE. Candidates will notice four entities that have come together to make 24/7 online proctoring possible. These are:
- CCHIM | certifying body
- CHIMA | examination coordinators
- Captus | examination host
- Examity® | online proctoring service
1. UNDERSTAND GENERAL CCHIM EXAMINATION POLICIES
Prior to applying to challenge an examination, candidates must review the CCHIM policies.
2. REVIEW INDIVIDUAL EXAMINATION GUIDE: CCCS CREDENTIAL
Prior to applying to challenge an examination, candidates must read the applicable CCCS Examination Guide.
3. ENSURE CHIMA MEMBERSHIP IS ACTIVE
A candidate must have an active certified membership upon challenging a national certification examination.
– Questions about memberships and logging into the member area at echima.ca can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
4. SUBMIT APPLICATION AND PAYMENT
In order to register for an examination, candidates must submit and application and provide payment. A confirmation e-mail will be sent afterward. Note: if a candidate does not receive a confirmation, check to ensure it didn’t get flagged in a junk folder.
– Questions about applying for an examination can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
5. SUBMIT REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION
|EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL||SPECIALTY PROGRAM GRADUATE|
|– Current resume- Reference letter from current employer outlining classification and coding work experience- Please submit documentation to [email protected]||– Transcripts must state that a candidate has graduated from a CCHIM-approved classification and coding specialist program. CCHIM accepts electronic transcripts only when received directly from an institution. They must be scanned individually as a PDF, saved by ‘lastname_firstname_institution’, and e-mailed to [email protected] |
Both an institution and exam candidate can mail a sealed, original copy to the following address:
201 King St.
– Questions about submitting documentation can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
6. EXAMINATION PRIMER
Examination primers are available in the ‘Resources’ section of the website. Once purchased, the primer will be accessible in your dashboard under ‘My resources.’
– Questions about primers can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
7. APPROVAL TO CHALLENGE EXAMINATION
CCHIM approves eligible candidates and sends a confirmation e-mail with a candidate passcode is sent. This passcode will be required in step 11. It must be kept secure and confidential.
– Questions about approvals can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
8. SCHEDULE EXAMINATION TIME
Approximately 1-2 weeks prior to the scheduled exam period, approved candidates will receive an auto-email invitation from Examity® ([email protected]) to create an account in order to schedule an exam time. The examination period operates 24/7, and timeslots will be based on availability.
Candidates may wish to whitelist this email address to prevent it from going into a spam folder.
– Questions about booking an examination time can be e-mailed to: [email protected]. Please state that you are writing a CHIMA examination with CAPTUS as the school.
For those who have created an account with Examity in the past, please log-in to your Examity account to book your exam date and time using this link: https://prod.examity.com/captus/ If you’ve forgotten your password to Examity, please use the email address listed in your echima.ca profile.
9. QUESTIONS ABOUT PRIVATE TESTING ENVIRONMENT
– Refer to Online Proctoring Guidelines for more information
– Questions about private testing environments can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
10. MEET TECHNOLOGY & PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (WELL IN ADVANCE)
Candidates must ensure their computer and internet connection meet the online proctoring requirements prior to examination day.
– Refer to Online Proctoring Guidelines for more information and to find a link to the speed test.
– Examination candidates are responsible for purchasing or arranging access to the following resources, which must be preinstalled on the computer prior to the examination date:
- Canadian Coding Standards (v. 2018); and
- ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio (v. 2018) software * not compatible with Mac computers.
IMPORTANT: Examination candidates are responsible for purchasing or arranging access to ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software. The Folio software and Canadian Coding Standards must be preinstalled on the computer being used to access the examination. Do not wait until the day of the examination to install software on the computer. Examination candidates must not access any other websites or documents during the entire examination.
– Questions about technology, computers, and internet connections can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
11. EXAMINATION DAY
Candidates must log-in to their Examity® account at https://prod.examity.com/captus/ 15 minutes prior to meet the proctor and start the authentication process. The candidate passcode provided in step 7 is required. This would have been sent in an e-mail upon approval to challenge this examination.
The proctor’s video screen will be turned off during the exam writing as to not distract the candidate. Candidates can get a proctor’s attention by using their microphone, chat or call the Examity support number.
Please make sure to open the Folio software and the Canadian Coding Standards document prior to the examination start time.
– Questions on EXAM DAY can be e-mailed to: [email protected], or by phone at: 1-855-392-6489, option 1. Please state that you are writing a CHIMA examination with CAPTUS as the school.
12. RECEIVE RESULTS
Once CCHIM’s Registrar has reviewed examination marks, candidates will be sent a pass or fail e-mail notification. Please expect this approximately 20 business days after the examination period ends.
Approximately 45 business days after the examination period ends, candidates will receive a package in the mail.
– Candidates who have passed will receive a package including: a CCHIM mark breakdown letter, a CCHIM certificate, and a CHIMA congratulations letter
– Candidates who have failed will receive a CCHIM mark breakdown letter
* At times, CCHIM could run outside of these service level agreements due to extenuating circumstances.
– Questions about results can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
Candidates are required to contact the correct parties for support throughout this 12-Step Examination Process:
|– CHIMA Memberships|
– echima.ca account details
|– Applications & Approvals|
– Application documentation
– Examination Primer
|– Network connections|
– Private testing environment
– Technical support prior to examination day
* During regular business hours, 9 am – 5 pm ET
|– Scheduling examination time|
– examity.ca account details
– EXAMINATION DAY: Proctoring support
1-855-392-6489, Option 1Please state that you are writing a CHIMA examination with CAPTUS as the school.
REQUEST TO WITHDRAW
The request to withdraw from an examination must be received in writing by the deadlines stated below. A refund of 100% of the examination fee will be provided. No refund will be provided past these deadlines.
|Exam Date(s)||Deadline for Withdrawal|
|November 18 – 22, 2019||October 28, 2019|
Published: October 31, 2019